The Philippine Development Foundation (PhilDev) and various Philippine universities, with support from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), will establish a network of Technopreneurship Hubs (TechHub) hosted in strategically located universities nationwide. The TechHub universities will serve as Centers for Technopreneurship Education Excellence where surrounding universities can benchmark with. At the end of three years, at least 15 highly-functional and self-sustaining TechHubs are expected to spur regional innovation and entrepreneurship.
Specifically, the TechHubs aim to achieve the following objectives:
• Propagate the entrepreneurial thinking among the students, and in teaching methods of the professors in the TechHub and neighboring universities;
• Close the gap between the academe and industry linkage;
• Boost the local and regional startup industry that contributes to its respective community;
• Sustain the achievements of the Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in fostering entrepreneurial attitude among students and faculty;
• Function as the hub HEI for the neighboring HEIs and be part of a national network of TechHubs to foster collaboration and to implement standards in developing technology-based innovations and enterprises that are globally scalable and responsive to local needs.
These objectives will support the implementation of Technopreneurship 101 subject that was rolled out in all 539 HEIs in the Philippines that offer engineering programs beginning academic year 2018-2019. This is expected to create new breed of engineers who will take option to productize and commercialize their innovation and invention thereby creating jobs and help drive inclusive economic growth in the Philippines.